Friday, July 29, 2011

Beauty & Brains

"Beauty might get you through the door, but your brains are what get you a seat at the table."

Let's talk mother/daughter relationships today. No matter what age your children are this relationship is one of the most important relationship your daughter/s will have during their lifetime. There are so many girls growing up today that don't have a strong parental presences in their life. A lot of kids, not all, are growing up without boundaries, without good self-esteem, or a parent who is a friend instead of being a parent. I read an article today from Parenting.com that I really connected with. The article talked about how girls these days need to grow up knowing that beauty is not the only important thing. That beauty can only get you so far and that there is more to life than looking like Paris Hilton or acting like Lindsay Lohan.

Afraid your daughter is going to turn into one of these girls someday? Well, you can help to prevent that. Mother's,
1. You need to take an active role in your daughters life from an early age. They may not like it, but you have to do it.
2. Try to build their confidence every day. Show them and tell them that they are good at something.
3. Encourage them to think outside of the box and be unique and who they really want to be.
4. Enroll them in actives. Not just sports, but other social or learning actives. Like a book club, for example.
5. Make sure to encourage their "brains" and not just their "beauty."
6. Don't be afraid to set rules and hold your daughter's (and sons) accountable for their actions. A lot of kids these days get away with anything.

The more involved you are in you daughter's life the more they will appreciate it when they are older. My mother (and father) were always in my business. They always had rules and if I didn't follow them I was in TROUBLE. I probably told them I "hated" them once or twice, but now that I am the age that I am, I truly understand why they were so involved. And realize that I would not be the woman that I am today. So mother's, get involved and encourage your daughter's to NOT be like everyone else!

Remeber....Mypersonalizedprint.com has great placemats to help grow those "brains." We've got great activities on the back! And....you can follow me on Twitter at @Mycreatedprint

No comments:

Post a Comment